Tuesday 2 March 2010

N3W C4R RE615TRAT10N5

I saw four 10-Reg cars today. I probably saw ten 04-Reg cars as well but I wasn't really looking out for them. I didn't see any 10-Reg's yesterday but then again I'd forgotten they were out. I think most people would have forgotten they were out unless they were actually getting one.

The new registrations coming out twice a year certainly makes it less of an event than when you had to wait for the First of August. I remember the excitement as a child seeing a Ford Capri or Morris Marina sporting the new plates but, then again, I suppose I always was a bit of a saddo.

I'm not convinced that the same pride exists today in showing off a new car on new plate day - a lot of people simply do not understand the format of the current style of plates even though it isn't that complicated: The first letter represents the region, S for Scotland, Y for Yorkshire, E for Essex, K for Northampton etc. The second letter represents the office within that region. The two digits represent the year if registered from March to September or 50 plus the year if registered from September to March. Then, finally, the last three characters are random letters.

I looked at the DVLA site a few weeks back at buying DA10WEN with a view to selling it at a massive profit to any of the many Welshmen out there called Dai Owen but the DVLA have that one reserved.

Apparently I can have DC10WEN for £399 though.

I've never actually wanted personalised plates myself. M3TRO is gone anyway, probably on an Austin Metro, but why do people think that 3s look like Es? These are the same people who will pay absolute fortunes for some ridiculous examples.

TO55ERS isn't available either.

No comments:

Post a Comment