Tuesday 15 February 2011

Risky Business


This is a tricky one for me.

What Car? are reporting that the EU is to outlaw discrimination against men when it comes to setting motor insurance premiums. I've always felt a bit miffed that women get cheaper insurance than men just because they cost less in claims. I haven't said they crash less because I'm not convinced that they do - they just do less damage because they are travelling much slower when they do it.

This is a point I made last Summer when my good blogging friend North of the Border commented in his Blog about poor driving. To quote me last July, "Surely cheaper insurance for women should fall foul of sex descrimination laws? What would happen (and the data must exist) if they started basing premiums on skin colour?"

I am still uneasy about this though, since if they are not allowed to take into account the risk on sex-grounds, will it go further and they won't be able to discriminate against the higher-risk groups like sportsmen and entertainers? Or people who live in inner-city crime hotspots? Or Mexicans?

The main reason for me to comment though is as an excuse to embed this:

No comments:

Post a Comment