Thursday 24 May 2012

Pasta Their Best?

This week is a week of anniversaries.

It is 15 years to the day since myself and Mrs.Metro walked down the aisle.

It is 20 years +1 to the day since Former policeman Roger Reynolds turned on Britain’s first-ever speed camera on the westbound A316 on Twickenham Bridge in Surrey. The Gatso camera was in a 40mph zone but was set to 60mph and caught nearly 23,000 drivers exceeding 65mph in 22 days. Good. Alledgedly. MSN Cars have the story.

I'm not a fan of speed cameras but driving at 65 in a 40-zone is silly. Also, they are so well signposted now, and painted bright yellow, that you shouldn't really get caught by one.

When I looked for a good picture of a Gatso, this strange-looking car kept coming up:I'd forgotten that Gatso himself was a rally-driver who had invented the speed camera to measure his own racing speeds. I guess this Gatso 4000 Roadster was one of his inventions too. It might have looked OK without the Davros "third eye" thing going on.

I don't know if there are any speed cameras on Gravelly Hill Interchange but...

...it is 40 years to the day since Spaghetti Junction (as Gravelly Hill Interchange is better known) opened. Hence the pasta title and picture of the 1957 spaghetti harvest.For most of those 40 years, I have wrongly thought that spaghetti junction was where the M6 intersected with the M5. It is actually junction 6 of the M6. What a noodle! - all those times I've driven through Spaghetti Junction and thought I hadn't got there yet.

The BBC covered the anniversary quite thoroughly here and here.

Spaghetti Junction was useful for linking bits of Birmingham but not of much interest to New Yorkers who would be more interested about this day in 1883 when...

...The Brooklyn Bridge in New York City was opened to traffic after 14 years of construction. Can't really comment on it but I have driven over The Queens Bridge or, as it should be more correctly named, the Queensboro Bridge or the 59th Street Bridge. Groovy. (Some kudos for anyone who can see what I've done there)Not that anyone crossing Brooklyn Bridge would be too concerned that it was opened on the 53rd anniversary of...

...the publication of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" by Sarah Josepha Hale.

OK, I've officially run out of ways to end this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment