Tuesday 24 September 2013

Would you sell your Granny?

Somebody is.

And if I had £5K spare and some space and some time to travel down to East Anglia (as opposed to Ford Anglia - there's one of them for sale too) I would certainly be interested in making a purchase.

After all, she is beautiful:
It's the rarer 3-door coupe style as well.
 
So what alerted me to this sale?
 
This did.
 
It is a story from the BBC about a 1961 Triumph Herald up for sale with just 20 miles on the clock.  It is believed that the "one careful lady owner" never actually drove it. 
Sounds a bit like the story of the Merc I found in Swansea.
 
It goes under the hammer on Saturday together with the car you can just see behind it.
 
The car in the picture behind it interests me because my first car was identical to it.
 
OK, it had a different registration number and was three years younger but it was a Triumph Dolmite 1500HL in Vomit Yellow (aka Sandglow).
 
It must be in excellent condition because it is estimated to go for between £14K and £16K - although they've clearly got the colour wrong in the listing (brown) and the mileage too (69 - maybe they meant 69000)
 
I don't think they are too clever when it comes to the listings.  They have the mileage for the Herald that is making the headlines down as being 3750 (next to a photo of the speedo that shows 20).
 
3750 is still unbelievably low for a 50-year-old car and probably belongs to a second Herald the auctioneers are selling that they have listed as having 20 miles.
 
I would love to have a wander around this auctioneers site - the actual, physical site, not the website, although that is pretty interesting too.
 
For example, they have a 1988 Rover 213 - why on Earth would that be a classic?
 
Well, to answer my own question (and I bet you thought it was rhetorical) it only has 3101 miles on the clock and is expected to fetch £3K.
 
They also have Granny's successor for sale: 
Oh dear.  Maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment